Saturday, November 16, 2013

I think this refrigeration business is all hype. As long as you store your fragrances in a dark cool


Articles Directory Reviews Scent of the day Forum Community Albums Member List Forum Actions Mark Forums Read Popular Forums General Fragrance Discussion Female Fragrance Discussion Male Fragrance Discussion Groups Blogs New
So I read on this forum over the weekend that sticking one's edt's in a mini-fridge on the lowest setting is a good idea. It hasn't worked out for me. I didn't put everything in there. However, I did lose a full bottle of jovan sex appeal, a half finished 3 oz. bottle of drakkar noir and a four oz. bottle of aspen by coty. The nautica blue and Chrome made it out alive. Your thoughts? Maybe I should have stuck to aftershave?
I mean on the temperature setting which says "min" making it the least cold possible. The difference in smells is extraordinary. One day they were fine--then I left them in the mini-fridge for the weekend. Now they smell completely different.
Re: EDT's destroyed--the tale of my mini-fridge
Trusting in the mindset of a pre-set whatever temp at "Lowest Setting" with valuable fragrances and not having an independent thermometer to verify is..strange. How long did this take? Did you not know that the temp was warm over an extended period? Normal room temp inside tervis the fridge shouldn't spoil your frags even in an extended time period unless you are in the equivalent of the Sahara. But over the weekend? Nah..
I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moment's gone All my dreams pass before my eyes a curiosity Dust in the wind All we are is dust in the wind--Kansas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2gWCUP1fM
The outside of your bottles and boxes can indeed acquire a strange smell, something akin to the fragrance section at the department store, only stronger. I have dozens tervis of fragrances and essential oils and components stored in my vintage fridge, in some cases for years now. All of the paper items now have a shared "vintage fridge" smell. Even the glass of the bottles has an odor until wiped off, and the labels may retain it. But the juice inside is in all cases pristine, with topnotes preserved fully. 39 degrees F. That's my experience.
keep them out for a while and try again. it doesn't make sense for them to be "destroyed" that easily. Absolutely, let them reach ambient temperature and restest! Cold should keep fragrances fresh, tervis just like it does with food and other stuff. That's why perfume museums refrigerate.
20th January 2011,  09:29 PM #12
21st tervis January 2011,  08:09 AM #15
I think this refrigeration business is all hype. As long as you store your fragrances in a dark cool place, there really tervis is no need for refrigeration. Just as heat can be extreme, so too can cold. Its necessary to refrigerate meat, not perfume lol
Any cool, dark place will work for storing fragrances, this is true. Refrigeration is more like an insurance, tervis a good idea if you maybe have rare, expensive or particularly delicate fragrances. I refrigerate some but not all of my collection. I'll do what I think is best, just like everyone else.
Its necessary to refrigerate meat, not perfume lol I also refrigerate blocks of cash. As far as the change in smell, it's expected. The sudden change in temperature when you spray a chilled frag onto skin causes some components to evaporate faster, i think.
I realize we have different views on the issue. I'm sure I would never have begun refrigerating if I hadn't found that my perfumes were losing their lovely tervis top notes after a few years. First I started putting them in my dresser drawer and just putting tervis backups in the spare basement fridge --because I noticed that some sealed (i.e. not exposed to light) backup bottles of florals bought on eBay had gone "off"-- meaning that light wasn't the only culprit in deterioration. Then as my fragrances multiplied and the drawer got too crowded, I started putting the full bottles in the fridge while decanting to 5ml vials for my daily use, which stay in the drawer or my purse. When we finally bought a mini fridge for our bedroom, the bottles in current use went in there. I've been getting away from decanting to the 5 ml atomizers because it's just as easy to reach into the fridge. However I will say that my AA Flora Nerolia in the 5ml atomizer (in the dark but not refrigerated) has begun to go "off". So for me there is clear evidence that some of my perfumes last longer when refrigerated. That is why I do it. It's an expense (buying the fridge) and a nuisance (finding space for it) but many of my favorites are discontinued or reformulated and I don't want to lose any more of them. Others may do as they please-- perhaps their fragrances are heavier in ingredients that are durable at room temperature. But I think blanket remarks like "refrigeration isn't necessary" or "refrigeration is necessary" do not tell the whole story. Do what works for you.
 
Quic

No comments:

Post a Comment